Monday, January 17, 2011

New Year Super Post

Happy New Year, folks! Hope you had a lovely holiday season!
Sorry for the lack of posts recently...To make up for it, here's a giant post of updates.

***First off, here's a piece I did for "Is This Thing On?," Gallery 1988's tribute to comedians. My comedian is Ellen DeGeneres:



"Do the Ellen Boogie"
Ink, acrylic, and gouache on paper mounted on panel
6" x 12"

The show opened earlier this month, so my apologies for not posting about it beforehand. You can still purchase the piece through Gallery 1988 HERE. And be sure to check out the wonderful work by the other artists in the show!

***I was asked by Joshua Rhodes to participate in his HOWHY Project, where he asks artists the question, "Why do you make art?" You can read my response HERE. I think it's interesting to find out what motivates people to do what they do, so take a look at what the other artists are saying and stay tuned for more responses.

***I wanted to give something special to some friends of mine this past Christmas, so I decided on some hand-made gifts. We have our own "tribe" and each person has a spirit animal, so I made everyone a sculpture of his or her spirit animal. It was a total labor of love and I'm super excited to share with everybody:




***Finally, allow me to get all up in your social network: You can "like" me on facebook by clicking HERE and follow me on twitter HERE for blog updates, show reminders, and the like.

19 comments:

Goldendust said...

Dude! What did you sculpt your animals with? They're amazing!!!

Jules said...

Thanks! They're all made with sculpey.

lostsailors said...

Oh my god, those spirit animals are amazing! What wonderful gifts, you would just treasure them forever.

OH! Speaking of gifts, a bunch of my friends banded together and gave me the print of "No Man Is an Island!" It's just wonderful! I can't wait to get it framed. It was so much bigger than I thought, I'm going to have to create wall space.

Jules said...

Thank you! And I'm glad you finally got your print!

Manuel Dupong said...

I'll glady follow you on facebook, or to the depths of hell and back if the need should arise. But man! those sculptures are sublime.

twchrist said...

Gorgeous collection of animals that are all very much /you/.

MJC *-* said...

Wow! This is amazing! Each person a personal handmade gift. Come on. And i even didn't buy some presents!
I feel baddddd

I Ching San said...

The spirit animals are just incredible!

zara said...

These are so awesome. Words escape me. So so cool.

sarah 'sae' soh said...

i keep looking at your spirit animals and im just still blown away.

you are just a bundle of amazingness!

Jules said...

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody! It really means a lot!

Diego Freyre said...

IM YOUR FAN NOW

Jenny said...

Wha?! Those are insane! SO nice!

Ann said...

I'm going to join the chorus of cheers. These spirit animals are so incredible - beautiful and well-designed!

Petra said...

Really wonderful sculptings :)

SI said...

Wow, those sculptures are amazing. What great gifts

P-A Rochat said...

Amazing style!

Jules said...

Thanks everybody!

Omarrr said...

wow, these are amazing!