Thursday, August 12, 2010

Crowd Control

I've got a new illustration in this week's LA Weekly (page 70) for an article about the crowded and chaotic Coachella 2010. Here were some of my ideas:



1. A tsunami of people, a la Hokusai, about to pummel a band member (or, alternatively, a crowd-surfer).
2. A can of "Coachella"-brand sardines, with people packed tight and scrambling to get out.
3. A crowd so packed that the fences surrounding it can barely contain it.
4. A busy image with ticket scalpers, tail-gaters, and a sea of people.
5. An audience so big and crowded that they could practically touch the performer.
6. A scene at a neighboring copy store, where scalpers are photo-copying tickets while a line of people eagerly await to buy them.

Number 3 was chosen for the final. On a side note, I noticed that when I have to draw several people for a single piece, a lot of them end up looking like or are inspired by my friends. Do you see any kinda-familiar faces?



"Packed Fresh in Indio"
Ink, acrylic, and gouache on paper
12.5" x 7.5"
[ADs: Darrick Rainey and Jason Jones]

They ended up printing it in black and white, so unfortunately it doesn't feature all the crazy colors that the concert-goers are wearing, but I guess if you're reading this then that really isn't a problem!
The issue is out now, check it out!

9 comments:

Danielle Buerli said...

Is that coop in her panties? I hope so. you are amazing, nothing less expected

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Shomakrazy good! I thought the shorts girl looked like Sinae and that ginger was Dalva... though perhaps it's a little unfair to assume all redheads are Dalva. ha ha

Wait, and Sergio bottom left?

Jules said...

Hahah, Travis said that girl has Sinae's face and Coop's body.
Also, I didn't even realize it, but yeah, that guy in the corner does look kinda like Sergio!

sarah 'sae' soh said...

julian this turned out amazing!
im definitely diggin it to the extremes ;)

EL Gato Negro said...

sweet stuff man, you really captured a moment here. Its a shame on the colors, that would of made it yummy icing on top!!

MIDArt said...

ilove your panties soooo much. cool !
please gimme comments then follow my blog http://gimmethequeenscrownback.blogspot.com/

Zoe said...

I love that you put up your thumbnails! Although human tsunami was pretty sweet I'm into this one. Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

sparkdoodle said...

my goodness, this is amazing..as usual. and i'm glad coopsynator (cooper + sinae + shomonator) made it to your piece. very beautiful.

Jules said...

Haha, thanks guys!